Nothing is quite as satisfying as carbs or warm & gooey cheese on a brisk, cool day. I had a slice of swiss cheese & Adam had an apple last Sunday, we were snacking & hungry for lunch. We started talking about apples & cheese – the rest is history. We went to the grocery store immediately to get the ingredients for the mac & cheese that suddenly was on our minds.
Mac & cheese dishes might be my favorite thing to make & I plan on keeping them coming for fall. This one is very mild & delicious.
- 4 cups of pasta (any shape)
- 3 cups of apples, diced (I used McIntosh)
- 1 pound chicken, diced
- dash of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pint whipping cream
- half a stick of butter
- 18 ounces of swiss cheese, cubed (3 6 ounce packages)
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain & set aside when done.
- Combine apples, chicken & olive oil in a skillet.
- Place over a medium heat & cook for about 10 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Season with black pepper, salt, & rubbed sage, set aside.
- Add whipping cream & butter to a large saucepan & heat slowly until the butter is melted.
- Add cubed swiss & stir occasionally.
- When the cheese is almost all the way melted, add in flour & mix or whisk well until there are no lumps.
- Once you are certain the cheese is melted add pasta & apples with chicken.
- Mix well, heat for a minute or two & then serve hot.
Here are other mac & cheese recipes you will love.