A good homemade french fry goes perfect with sandwiches, salads, and soups. These skinny baked Garlic Parmesan Fries are topped with parmesan cheese and fresh basil, talk about tasty. I had lunch the other day at a new spot in Santa Monica and I was blown away by their parmesan fries so I decided to recreate my own days later.
If you like making your own fries, be sure to check out my earlier recipe with Garlic Aioli with Oven Fries. I obviously think garlic and french fries are a good combination.
I do have to warn you, your home may smell like garlic while you are making these. I soaked the potatoes with fresh garlic cloves for a couple hours to flavor the fries.
- 3 medium sized potatoes (use about 1½ potatoes per serving, I made this for two)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic (use 1 clove of garlic per potato you use)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Optional but recommended - fresh basil leaves, shredded
- Wash and prepare your potatoes, I sliced mine lengthwise and into thin strips for skinny fries.
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice them into pieces.
- Add the potatoes and garlic to a bowl, fill with water until the fries are covered and place plastic wrap over the bowl for 2 - 3 hours. This is how you add a little extra garlic flavor to your fries.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain and pat the fries and garlic dry and place them on a large nonstick baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Bake for about an hour, checking the fries halfway through and flipping them.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and basil right out of the oven.
Enjoy and be sure to check out the Garlic Aioli recipe too.