Soup is one of my favorite go to meals in the fall for many reasons; it’s a one dirty dish kind of meal, it’s easy, you can make it over the stove or in the crock pot, & it always yields a lot of great leftovers. While the garden is almost done, ours is still producing a lot of peppers. I made this spicy sausage & pepper soup – it reminds me of the sausage sandwiches you would get at the fair, except it’s carb free & much healthier.
I’m warning you this is one spicy soup, but definitely in a good way,
- 3 cups of water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cups of green bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup of assorted color sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 14 ounce package of pre cooked smoked sausage, sliced (or feel free to use Italian sausage)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I used a chunky style with green peppers & onions)
- Add water, bouillon cube, onion, green peppers, jalapeno peppers & sweet peppers to a large pot on the stove & turn it on a medium heat.
- Allow this to cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables start to become semi tender.
- Add sausage, red pepper flakes, garlic salt, bread crumbs, 1 cup of water, & tomato sauce.
- Stir well & allow to simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot & enjoy!
- Feel free to garnish with cheese, I used shredded pepper jack cheese on mine & it goes great with bread.