A creamy white mac & cheese with brussels sprouts and chicken.
The nights are getting longer and the days are becoming shorter; it’s time to start thinking about enjoying fall foods. Homemade macaroni and cheese is a delicious and traditional meal you can enjoy at home, but I prefer to put a spin on it. Enter White Mac & Cheese with Brussels Sprouts, featuring a creamy aged white cheddar cheese sauce which coats pan-fried brussels sprouts and juicy chicken. Serve this with a glass of wine for an excellent home-cooked dinner.
This recipe was originally made and created for Equestrian Culture magazine last year but since the magazine has merged with Horse & Style, the beautiful publication no longer exists. I decided sharing the recipe now would be perfect!
Suggested Wine Pairing: 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon
The flavor of the aged white cheddar overpowers the mozzarella cheese, so pick a wine that goes well with a hard cheese. I suggest Cabernet Sauvignon with cheddar, but you may also try a Merlot or a Sauvignon Blanc. The wine should compliment your food and enhance its flavor.
- 3½ cups uncooked pasta (any shape)
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, sliced into thirds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Oil for the skillet
- 1 cup diced chicken breast
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces aged sharp white cheddar cheese, cubed
- Cook and prepare the past according to the directions on the box.
- This recipe calls for 1 cup of diced chicken; I suggest boiling a large chicken breast in water and saving the leftovers for another meal.
- While the pasta and chicken are cooking, prepare the brussels sprouts. Slice each sprout into thirds and season with black pepper and garlic powder. Add the sprouts to a skillet with about one tablespoon of warm oil. Cook over a low heat for about 12 minutes, turning occasionally so the sprouts do not burn. A nice browning on the outside of the sprout is ideal.
- Meanwhile drain the pasta and add it to a large serving bowl, then stir in the cooked chicken and finished brussels sprouts.
- Melt the butter over a low heat and add the flour while stirring slowly. Once the flour/butter mixture is fully blended and about to boil, pour in the whipping cream.
- Stir occasionally until small bubbles come to the surface, then add the cubed cheese.
- Stir slowly allowing the cheese to melt and also to prevent any burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the hot cheese sauce over the pasta, mix well and serve hot.
Looking for more Mac & Cheese or Brussels Sprouts? Try these:
The Best Brussels Sprouts (my personal favorite)