This delicious blog post is sponsored by Cheerios™. Thank you for reading and supporting H&H’s wonderful sponsors. #SummerOfCheerios
The first official day of summer is here, where did that come from? One of my favorite ways to start or finish a summer day is with a hike at Griffith Park. Our apartment is just five miles away from Griffith and its 55 miles of trails. Los Angeles is a big city and it gets overwhelming, I cherish my escapes from the city. Adam and I like to do a loop starting at the Greek Theater that delivers amazing views of the Los Angeles skyline, Glendale, Burbank, and the Hollywood sign. You end up at the Observatory and hike your way back down to the car from there.
Sometimes we bring Mango with us but she gets carried up all of the big hills and prefers walking around malls or going out to dinner over hiking. ?
Bottled water and a snack on a long hike is a must. The hills out here are no joke but I love the feeling I get from conquering a big incline, it’s so exhilarating. There are lots of beautiful spots to pause for a moment and take a snack break. Am I the only one who daydreams about all of the restaurants I want to eat at while hiking?
These bars will satisfy all of your cravings and you’ll want to make them for all of your adventures. Chocolate peanut butter cereal bars are made with Chocolate Cheerios™, cashews, milk chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmallow creme. You could tweak my recipe and add in other nuts, candies, or dried fruit if you like but I think they are perfect as is. Go for the salted cashews to get a little sweet and savory in each bite. Cheerios™ make the perfect summer snack.
Lets get back to these tasty cereal bars… Start with a big box of Chocolate Cheerios™ from Walmart. You can easily pick up your cereal at Walmart just like I did. If you aren’t into chocolate (gasp), you could buy another variety like Honey Nut Cheerios™ or Frosted Cheerios™.
- Coconut oil or butter for greasing the pan
- 5 cups Chocolate Cheerios™
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 7 oz (1 container) marshmallow creme
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup crushed cashews
- ¼ cup melted chocolate chips (for drizzling over the bars)
- Grease a 9 x 11 inch baking pan with some coconut oil or butter. I prefer coconut oil - grease the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Pour Chocolate Cheerios™ and milk chocolate chips into a large mixing bowl and toss them together.
- Add marshmallow creme and peanut butter to a saucepan and slowly heat the mixture until smooth and creamy. Keep the mixture on low to avoid burning the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the marshmallow peanut butter creme into the mixing bowl with the Cheerios™. Move quickly and mix the cereal throughly.
- Dump the cereal into the baking pan, flatten, and level off the top.
- Sprinkle cashews onto of the bars.
- Finally drizzle the melted chocolate chips over the bars.
- Chill the cereal bars for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.
Have fun making these chocolate peanut butter cereal bars for your next adventure ; )
Be sure to follow @Horsesandheels_ on Instagram, tag me using #HandHFood if you make these.