I love homemade croutons, the holidays are over & it’s time to start moving forward in the right direction. More salad please? A salad just isn’t a salad without croutons & you can go through those small bags rather quickly. But you can make your own homemade croutons for a fourth of the price & they taste just as great, if not better. I picked up a large loaf of french bread for $1.50 and normally a bag of croutons costs $1.50 or more – the loaf made about four bags worth.
I was craving Mexican & decided to make these Mexican flavored croutons since I had no chips on hand. They were perfect & could be paired with a lot of salads. You can use my basic recipe with French bread and olive oil but feel free to change up the seasonings depending on the meal.
- 4 cups french bread, cubed (lightly packed) This was about a ¼ of my loaf of bread, feel free to double or triple this recipe as needed.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the bread cubes, onion powder, salt, black pepper, paprika & cumin to a large bowl.
- Toss with your hands or a spoon until the bread pieces are all evenly coated with seasonings.
- Add in olive oil & toss again until moisture is absorbed & distributed equally.
- Spread the croutons over a large foiled baking sheet & bake for about ten minutes, the edges should be a nice golden brown.
- Allow the bread to cool & set out for about thirty minutes before using.
- Store in an air tight container for up to a week in between uses.
These homemade croutons are so good! They will have you loving salads & saving money on bagged croutons.