Good things are worth talking about again & sometimes great recipes call for a spin-off. For those of you who are new to Horses & Heels you might not remember this Jalapeno Bacon Mac & Cheese. Let me tell you, it’s one of my favorite recipes still today & it is one of the most popular recipes I’ve ever created. I was craving it the other day so I thought to myself, let’s do it again but this time make it HOTTER.
Enter Habanero cheese – yes, this is serious mac & cheese!
Enter a new recipe with the same basic formula with a twist.
Ps. if you can’t find Habanero cheese, you can just substitute it for any other spicy variety & if you have been here before & are wondering if the recipe has been changed, you are correct. I made a few changes for the better.
Jalapeno & Bacon Mac & Cheese
A spicy jalapeno bacon mac & cheese.
- 4 cups uncooked pasta, any shape
- 12 ounces bacon
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces habanero cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Drain the pasta & add it to a large bowl or pot.
- Cook the bacon, drain any excess grease, blot it with paper towels & crumble it. I like to use turkey bacon since it has less grease & is a bit better for you.
- Add the bacon to the pasta.
- Add the garlic & jalapeno pieces to the skillet you used to cook the bacon. Cook for 5 minutes & add it with the pasta & bacon.
- Pour whipping cream in a small pot & warm slowly warm it.
- Add in butter & melt completely.
- Drop in cubes of cheese, slowly melt & stir occasionally.
- Add flour & stir until it is dissolved.
- Make sure the cheese is completely melted & pour it over the pasta.
- Stir everything together & serve immediately.
- Enjoy this spicy & cheesy dish.
*Garnish with a few jalapeno slices if you dare & see the original recipe here.