Rhubarb Green Tea Slush – a frozen beverage with tangy rhubarb, sweet cherries and healthy green tea. Does it get any better? Rhubarb is one of those vegetables (yes, it’s considered a vegetable and not a fruit) that seems to only have a few good dishes that come to mind; a rhubarb pie, a rhubarb crisp or maybe a strawberry rhubarb pie. But the potential for rhubarb is endless! Let this slush be a little inspiration and a new favorite recipe of yours.
It’s easy to make and is a unique beverage that will really have people talking, plus its vibrant deep pink color is so pretty and all natural.
- 1 cup frozen sweet cherries
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup of white sugar (or other sugar substitute)
- 1 quart green tea (use 4 tea bags and 4 cups of water)
- Add cherries, rhubarb and sugar to a sauce pan.
- Cook on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb is soft and tender. Do not boil or scorch the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, make your green tea on the stove. Bring 4 cups of cold water to a boil, add tea bags and let them steep for 15 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb cherry mixture to a blender and puree.
- Remove tea bags from tea and add tea to the blender and mix.
- Place the beverage in the freezer for 4-6 hours until it becomes "slushy" or freeze overnight and blend the frozen mixture before serving.
- *If you freeze the drink overnight, let it sit out on the counter for about an hour before trying to blend the frozen drink.
- Garnish with some mint leaves or rhubarb stalks if desired and enjoy.
Rhubarb never tasted so good!